Engineering Manager, Backend
The Engineering Manager, Backend helps build our services, data pipelines and extraction frameworks that fuels our entire Industrial IOT ecosystem of products. Engineers in this position will help lead our efforts to create efficient systems that helps us and our customers build scalable, reliable systems. A strong commitment to using the right tool for the job and a general curiosity is a requirement for this position in our company. The Engineering Manager, Backend will spend approximately 20% of their time managing Backend Engineers.
- Enhance features and functionality of our existing stack while developing new software to meet our customer’s needs.
- Actively participate in scoping, estimating, code reviews throughout the development process.
- Communicate with your fellow coworkers about your progress and offer suggestions/improvements to continually improve all aspects of the software
- Support for the entire suite of Contxt micro services assets, events, utility data, etc.
- Be able to provide thorough reasons/explanations for software decisions in order to prevent technical debt.
- Provides technical recommendations for projects and have suggestions for the company direction
- Manage and lead software engineers by providing support, goals, expectations, mentorship and feedback
- Conduct regular one on one meetings with direct reports to understand their daily work accountability and success
- Provide annual and quarterly goals to direct reports
- Conduct quarterly performance feedback sessions to discuss goal progress and development
- Collaborate with and support direct reports to create development plans for professional growth
- Participate and provide feedback in interviewing process
- Have a strong constructive voice. It will be expected and respected
- Strong programming skills in general, very comfortable with Python, Java and/or Kotlin
- Experience with data processing systems like Storm, Heron, Spark, etc.
- Experience with queueing systems like RabbitMQ, Kafka, Pulsar, etc.
- Ability to architect systems
- Solid SQL skills
- DevOps experience
- Experience with Redis, or other key-value stores
- Strong curiosity about new technologies
- Self-motivated individual who can work independently/remotely
- Unlimited PTO (as long as it isn’t abused)
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- Healthcare stipend ($300/mo)
- Professional Development stipend ($500/year)
- Team outings
- Flexible work environment with telecommuting options
- Witty banter (working with us is like being in a bad Aaron Sorkin movie)
- Dog friendly office
- Conveniently located on Fayetteville St in Downtown Raleigh
- Windows with natural sunlight
- We limit our use of buzzwords
- Direct access to all employees of the company, no middle management hell. You will work feet away from the CEO & CTO and we usually will go to lunch together